John Wooden: Coaching for people, not points


John Wooden coached UCLA to 10 national championships as head basketball coach. In this video, he defines success as:  "Peace of mind attained only in knowing you did the best for which you are capable." An interesting twist, I think, for someone known for winning. Is doing your best good enough? Coach Wooden believes so and I agree.


     Coaching, whether in sports, business or life, has many similarities. Being an athlete most of my life, I found I had quite a bit in common with Coach Wooden.  Like Wooden when I am working with a client, I want them to succeed…it is not just about winning but about doing your best and feeling good about yourself…making a positive contribution while we’re on this planet.

     As a coach, I help my clients with a game or business plan and, in the end, it is the athlete who has to take the ball and run the play. In the same way, it is the client who has to close the deal or take responsibility and follow-though with whatever the assignment. As Coach Wooden says in this video, “Never cease to be the best you can be.” 

     Look at the limitless possibilities there are in every situation.  Have the faith and belief in yourself, blend that with patience (with yourself and with others), and you are on the right road. And to quote Cervantes, “The journey is better than the end.” Sometimes when you reach your destination, it can be a letdown. Have fun getting to wherever you are headed. Enjoy the journey and the self-satisfaction along the way.

Enjoy the video!
For more help with coaching, visit my web site , call or email!

No comments:

Post a Comment